Dosage Form: Tablets
Packaging: Each box contains 30 Calcium folinate 15mg tablets.
Uses and Application: Calcium folinate is one of the B group of vitamins.
Calcium folinate is used to reduce the harmful effects of certain types of medicines called folic acid antagonists e.g. methotrexate.
Calcium folinate may also be used to treat some types of anemia (megaloblastic anemias) when they occur during pregnancy and infancy or they are caused by liver disease inadequate food intake or poor food absorption.
Administration and Dosage
Always take calcium folinate exactly as your physician has instructed you. You should always check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure.
The tablets should be swallowed whole with a glass of water.
Reduction of harmful effects of folic acid antagonists:
If used to reduce the harmful effects of folic acid antagonist medicine such as methotrexate,
Treatment with calcium folinate is usually started 24 hours after the folic acid antagonist has been given. The dose is usually one 15mg tablet every 6 hour.
In the treatment of megaloblastic anemia the dose is one 15mg tablet daily.
If you forget to take calcium folinate tablets:
If you forget to take your tablet, take it as soon as you can, but do not take a double dose to make up for forgotten tablet.
Storage / stability:
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children
- Do not store above 30 ‘c
- Protect from light and moisture.
- The anti-cancer medicines such as capecitabin, fluorouracil:
- The effectiveness of phenobarbitone, phenytoin or primidone (used to treat epilepsy) may be reduced by calcium folinate.
- Please tell your doctor if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Use in pregnancy and lactation:
- Consult with your physician if you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant or breast –feeding.
- Your physician will advise you whether you should take this medicine whilst pregnant or breast-feeding.